|"They better not fuck me over this time."|
I'm going to approach this one with a grain of salt, because the last time I got all excited about Meagan starring in a TV role, it ended in utter disaster.
Here's what we know
1) The show is going to be on NBC, the same mastermind behind the catastrophic train wreck that was Deception. So there's that.
2) Good "will play Janine Beltran, a local doctor with an edge to her" (source), whatever the hell that means. In Hollywhite, a Black woman "with an edge" usually translates to "sassy"/"angry", so...there's that as well.
3) Babylon Fields is a ship that already sank once; seven years ago, CBS turned down a completed pilot. The guys responsible for the pilot that got rejected are the same dudes now working on it for NBC. So...there's that.
4) BF will be about reanimated zombies trying to return to the lives they had before they died. I'll be honest; I'm torn about this. I hate zombie-related anything, but I've always wondered about what would happen if the undead from, say, The Walking Dead or World War Z were cured one day and tried to go back to their lives. What would that be like?
5) Though Good has been tapped for this new role, I've noticed there's no confirmation about it being her show, so although she will be starring, she most likely will not be the star.
Here's what we want
1) Don't make her an afterthought. Then again, Good was treated like an afterthought on her own show, so...there's that.
2) Stop pairing her up with white guys. A woman or a man of color should do nicely. But since that's what we want, they'll probably compromise and set her up with a white woman whom we'll either very rarely see or see all the time, possible more than Meagan herself.
3) Don't make her the only person of color on the show.
4) Don't pull a Garcelle Beauvais or Ashley Madekwe on Meagan Good should the show become popular and draw in a following.
5) Don't pull a Lacey Porter/Abbie Mills bullshit love triangle on Meagan Good.
6) Do NOT pull an Olitz either.
7) Don't even think about pulling a Joss Carter.