Taraji and Gabby on the same show? What???? Who came up with that sheer bout of genius?
After the utter fail in Person of Interest, I know some of you are counting down until Ms. T returns our TV screens.
Lee Daniels' hip-hop drama Empire boasts an A-list cast including Taraji P. Henson, Terrence Howard, Gabourey Sidibe, Malik Yoba and Macy Gray, just to name a few. (Source)
Fox [has] begun production preparations for “Empire;” a series that follows the behind-the-scenes life of a hip-hop family music business.
Director Lee Daniels, Danny Strong (The Butler) and Brian Grazer (“A Beautiful Mind”, “Apollo 13″) [wanted] to give the audience an inside view of the hip hop world and feature new music and some current hits on the show. (Source)
1) I like the cast. I love, love, love Taraji Henson and I have mad respect for Gabourey Sidibe.
2) While FOX is home to Faux News and other Fuckery, they have publicly stated the need for and intent to keep diverse actors on their network. In the case of Empire, the Black folks are front and center and undoubtedly the leads.
|Taraji as "Cookie."|
1) A hip hop drama? Really though? This is about a mogul and his family so the hip hop in question ain't gonna be the good stuff - we already know that. At least Shonda Rhimes's show is about a law professor.
2) Taraji's playing a character named "Cookie Lyon." *raises an eyebrow* Deal with that for a moment.
3) This is from the same network that botched Sleepy Hollow and tried to swear up and down that Katrina Crane is relevant and we should give a shit. Mm-hm...don't think I've forgotten about that mess for a second.
There's not enough info on the show yet; I believe the cast just recently got together for a table read of the pilot, so we'll just have to wait and see how this pans out.